Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Wisdom on a Wednesday


This morning as I sat down to read from my devotional I was struck by the last sentence in it. I am currently reading through Oswald Chambers classic, My Utmost for His Highest, and his final comment of the day encouraged me to write.

“God never gives us discernment so that we may criticize, but that we may intercede.”[1]

            Too many times in my life have I sought God’s direction so that I might be able to vindicate my position on something. The results have been mixed at best but I usually end up reflecting on how I could have handled my response to revelation differently.

            To truly take this mornings reading seriously, I have to reevaluate the reasons I seek discernment from above. If I am seeking it to exact my own revenge or to affirm my position in an argument then I should sincerely seek some real godly counsel because my intentions need an adjustment. However, if I am seeking His counsel for the sole reason to intercede on behalf of the other party then my will should line up precisely with His will. Then I will have the clear insight and vision to proceed along the path of reconciling the situation in whatever form that might take.

            “Father…not my will, but yours be done.” (Lk. 22:42)


[1]        Oswald Chambers, My Utmost for His Highest (Grand Rapids: Discovery House Publishers, 1992), November 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment